Friday, January 13, 2012

Hello 2012!

We're already a few weeks into the new year and so far it's going well. I'm a sucker for new beginnings and the start of a new year is no exception. It's a great time to look ahead, set goals and figure out how to achieve them. I made the decision to work with a coach this year in an effort to improve my fitness for ultras and I'm really excited about it.
After asking a few runner friends (and complete strangers on FaceBook) for recommendations, I found a coach in Vancouver who has lots of experience both running and coaching ultras. I'm only a couple of weeks into my program, but I already notice a difference. Maybe there really is something to these "tempo" and "speed" workouts that I've heard people talk about...
I'm sure I'm not the only person to have fallen into the trap of running the same routes at the same pace on the same days for all my training. I don't get bored easily (which is good if I am going to be an ultra runner) but I am enjoying this new training schedule that changes every week.
Another change I contemplated for the new year was giving up alcohol. I am not a big drinker but I would probably have a glass of wine or beer with dinner 5 nights a week. I don't think I'm ready to give up drinking entirely, but will probably try to stick with just 1-2 small drinks a week instead.
I also briefly considered giving up my morning cup(s) of coffee, but that hasn't happened yet and isn't likely to any time soon. A girl's gotta have at least one bad habit!

No comments:

Post a Comment