Monday, June 28, 2010

Sun Mountain 50k


Well, not much to report yet because I'm still in recovery mode from the Sun Mountain 50k trail race in Winthrop, WA. Since it was my first ultra and I haven't even run a marathon since 2005, I expected it to be hard and it was. I got lost twice, which probably added about 5k to the distance, but it sounds like that happened to a lot of people. In fact, I was one of the lucky ones because I was able to get back on course and finish the race - not everyone did.

The course itself was fairly spectacular with plenty of challenging, scenic terrain. I have never walked so much during a race, which was disheartening. I'm usually pretty strong on the uphills, but my legs never loosened up for me. Oh well, at least it was cool and rainy - my favourite race day conditions!

I wore my new Nathan women's intensity race vest and it was amazing. It definitely lives up to the hype. I literally took it out of the package that morning and it didn't bother me once during the race. I barely knew I had it on. I was happy with my hydration and nutrition. I figure I took in about 3 litres of fluids (mainly water) and between 500-600 calories.

Even with a few wrong turns and a lot of walking, I still managed to finish in 5:19 (2nd woman, 10th overall). Dave did really well too. He was third overall at 4:27. My friends Jason and Kristen did the 25k race and both had strong races. Overall, a very good day.

I've done some swimming and biking this past week with lots of stretching thrown in. My legs feel good so I will probably try a few short and easy runs this week and maybe meet with my coach, Scott (Factor9), and figure out what the next phase of my training schedule looks like and what my next race will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment